Android block: New Google ban could cripple one of 2019’s best smartphones

Android block: New Google ban could cripple one of 2019’s best smartphones

September 9, 2019 Off By u2jam

It’s been rumoured for a while but we now know one of this year’s biggest flagship phones looks unlikely to get access to Google’s most popular apps.

Huawei’s new Mate 30 Pro will launch within weeks but a shock new ban may block it from having services such as Gmail, Chrome, Google Maps or Google Docs installed.

If this total ban hits the Mate 30 it will force owners to navigate to these hugely popular platforms via the web browser which is anything but ideal.

In a further blow, it also appears that this latest device won’t be able to offer an official version of the Android operating system.

This ban comes after Huawei was blacklisted by the US government back in May with companies, including Google, left unable to deal with the Chines technology firm.

Confirming the issues to Reuters a Google spokesman said the Mate 30 cannot be sold with licensed Google apps and services due to the U.S. ban on sales to Huawei.

A temporary reprieve that the U.S. government announced last week does not apply to new products such as the Mate 30, the spokesman said.

This means while the Chinese firm may still be able to harness an open-source version of Android for its forthcoming mobile, it would not be able to obtain a paid licence needed to use its apps and services.

If this issue can’t be solved it could leave the firm with a major headache that could cripple its latest and greatest smartphone.

It seems very unlikely that smartphone fans will want to take delivery of an expensive flagship that can’t run Android or access popular apps such as Google Maps or Gmail.

Huawei hasn’t got long to fix this situation with the firm announcing today that it will unveil the Mate 30 Pro on September 19.

One option would be for the Chinese technology firm to launch the Mate 30 with its own operating system.

HarmonyOS was unveiled in August and has been designed for Internet of Things (IoT) devices but could also be harnessed by smartphones.

In a statement to Reuters, Huawei spokesman Joe Kelly said: “Huawei will continue to use the Android OS and ecosystem if the U.S. government allows us to do so.

“Otherwise, we will continue to develop our own operating system and ecosystem.”

Although this Google block could dent consumer confidence Huawei is making bold claims about its own OS.

Huawei president of software engineering said the firm’s new operating system has the ability to outperform Android and iOS in terms of “distribution, performance, power consumption and openness”.

Mr Wang said this was possible because of HarmonyOS’s architecture – the operating system is microkernel-based.

Essentially, this structure is expected to allow HarmonyOS to be distributed to different products easier than competing operating systems.

If true, this means if HarmonyOS is deployed on smartphones in the future, it could have several advantages over its biggest competitors, such as Google’s Android platform.

The Huawei boss also claimed this could allow developers to more easily distribute their apps to varying hardware.

Finally, he declared although Huawei wants to harness Android for its phones first and foremost, if it is no longer able to work with Google the Chinese firm could deploy HarmonyOS on its handsets within two or three days.